The Act designates the following road agencies:
1. Kenya National Highways Authority.
2. Kenya Rural Roads Authority.
3. Kenya Urban Roads Authority.
4. Kenya Wildlife Service
The above arrangement makes the management of roads to be more efficient and effective.
FUNCTIONS OF ROAD AGENCIES
The functions of the road agencies shall be to maintain, rehabilitate and develop such categories of roads as specified in the Kenya roads Act 2007 and to perform such additional functions as the Minister may, from time to time assign.
In the execution of their functions the road agencies shall ensure –
- development, rehabilitation and maintenance of the road network consistent with the economy and set standards;
- that its operations are conducted efficiently, economically and with due regard to safety; and
- that financial administration is conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Act and regulations made thereunder
The Kenya Roads Board shall, subject to the provisions of this Act, allocate funds to road agencies for the maintenance, rehabilitation and development of the categories of roads in respect of which they are designated. Allocation is pegged to specific categories of roads and not less than
- twenty two percent (22%) is allocated equally to all Constituencies in the country to be administered by the Rural Roads Authority;
- forty percent (40%) of the monies from the Fund is allocated in respect of the national roads to be administered by the Kenya National Highways Authority;
- fifteen percent (15%) of the monies from the Fund is allocated in respect of the Kenya Urban Roads Authority;
- one percent (1%) of the monies from the Fund is allocated in respect of roads in national parks and reserves to be administered by the Kenya Wildlife Service
- A maximum of two percent (2%) of the monies from the Fund is allocated in respect of a recurrent expenditure of the Board. The remainder of the monies from the Fund (10%) shall be allocated annually by the Kenya Roads Board with the approval of the Minister to road investment programme derived from the five-year road investment programme.